Lyon has developed the largest and most advanced grid connected utility scale combined solar PV/battery storage/system management plant in the world.
The Project, a 33MWdc Solar PV Project with minimum 1.4MW/5.4MWhr Lithium based battery storage, is connected to the fringe of grid in Australia and will test the boundaries of operation of utility scale solar/battery storage in these conditions.
The Project which is grid connected and located in far north Queensland, is expected to be operational in Q1 2017
The Project is attracting considerable international attention given its unique engineering challenges and solutions and is considered the forerunner of similar projects globally.
As project developer, Lyon undertakes all stages of development including:
- Securing project funding;
- Power purchase agreement
- Securing the site;
- Regulatory and development approvals;
- Connection agreement;
- Securing EPC for the solar; and
- Securing EPC for the battery.
Lyon has assembled a strong national and international team of 1st tier solar industry participants and advisors to deliver this iconic project including:
The project is located in the Cook Shire, Queensland Australia at the fringe of the National Electricity Market grid. The grid is operated by Ergon and the Project will connect to Ergon’s Lakeland substation.
Construction is scheduled to commence August 2016, with the Project expected to be operational Q1 2017
Project aim and approach
Key Project Aim: To add additional revenue value to utility scale PV plant located at the fringe of grid by demonstrating management of operational risk. Such revenue could have a significant impact on future project economics.
How to achieve aim: By testing, evolving and qualifying the network value of large scale PV in combination with energy storage such that the combination will be considered as a non-network solution seriously in Regulated Investment Test (RIT-D) processes. Also, to explore and resolve the use of this combination in assisting Ergon meet its “Safety Net” obligations.
Basic Evolution Process
- Install PV project as simple generation plant through standard connection agreement
- Add energy storage and run with simple smoothing algorithm
- Evolve and test the functional specification for the combination, including;
- The combination of smoothing and voltage control capability (SVC capability)
- The use of the battery for energy arbitrage and peak lopping
- The combination of network ancillary, and market, value
- The capability of this combination during system contingencies, particularly islanding and when a “safety net” solution is required
Lyon has now sold the Project